SOUTHLAND: Te Whare Whānau
Te Huinga Tahi (Māori Health Unit) provides Te Whare Whānau (the Family Room) service, this short term emergency accommodation 1-3 nights (subject to need) is available to all inpatient whānau/family members that live outside the Invercargill boundary.
Te Whare Whānau:
- Sleeps up to 15 persons at one time, the accommodation is a shared facility based on a normal Marae stay environment.
- The facility does contain: three single beds, 1 small bed, 1 cot, 2 bassinets and mattress. Beds are available on a first in first serve basis.
- In the event of a death where the extended whānau wish to access Te Whare Whānau with the Tūpāpaku/deceased, tangi (a death) will take precedence over accommodation use. Therefore, whānau/family will be asked to find alternative accommodation. A list of accommodation and services can be found in Te Whare Whānau information folder located in Te Huinga Tahi.
A koha is required to help cover the cost of linen and day to day expenses to provide the accommodation service.
Location and Access Procedure
Te Whare Whānau is situated in Te Huinga Tahi (Māori Health Unit) located in the Community Services Building on the Southland Hospital site.
Te Whare Whānau/Family Room Access Procedure
|1.||Whānau/family living outside Invercargill boundary can access Te Whare Whānau through hospital staff on the wards or by contacting hospital Security.|
Security will arrange for whānau members to sign for an access card and complete standard documentation. In addition, information on Te Whare Whānau rules and evacuation procedure will be provided.
Security will escort whānau members to Te Whare Whānau
|Te Whare Whānau||Te Whare Whānau Location|
DUNEDIN: Whānau Flat
The Whānau flat (Flat 3) is situated at Wakari Hospital.
The flat is used for emergency accommodation, 1-3 nights (subject to need) and is available to all inpatient whānau/family members that live outside the Otago boundary.
- Sleeps up to 5 persons at one time. The accommodation is a shared facility based on a normal Marae stay environment.
- The facility contains: three bedrooms with two of the rooms each hosting two single beds and the third a single bed. The whare is fully contained with shower, cooking facilities a small lounge area with radio and TV and also provides a washing machine.
- Beds are available on a first in first serve basis.
- In the event of a death, the whānau pani (grieving family) will be given priority for accommodation at the flat. Therefore, any whānau/family utilising the flat may be asked to find alternative accommodation during this time.
- Please note there is a small fee charged for the use of this accommodation.
Location and Access Procedure
The whānau flat is administered from the Dunedin Public Hospital through the Te Ara Hauora (the Māori Liaison Service).
Accommodation bookings to the flat are made during normal working hours, Mon - Fri, 8am - 4pm. Information will be provided to individuals verbally as well as written to ensure that whānau are fully informed of their responsibilities related to the accommodation and associated costs.
|Whānau flat||Whānau flat Location|