Southern DHB is currently seeking an enthusiastic ED Registrar to join our supportive, dedicated and teaching focused ED Department.
Southland Hospital is a 180+ bed, secondary level 4 base hospital situated in Invercargill, New Zealand. The Hospital services a population of approximately 108,000 throughout Invercargill, Queenstown, Gore, Stewart Island and rural Southland.
ED Registrars at Southland Hospital are eligible to apply for rotations in other specialties, including Anaesthesia, Paediatrics, and General Medicine, following their time in ED.
Where do I fit?
You’ll be part of a close-knit team of seven FACEMs, seven Registrars, and House Officers managing approximately 38,000 patients annually, with a full case-mix including major trauma.
What’s in it for me?
- A lifestyle that is hard to beat! Southland is a wonderful place for families, with great educational facilities (primary through tertiary) and many activities available for all ages. Some of New Zealand’s most famous national parks, ski fields and wineries are within easy driving distance.
- Wilderness experience. Southland is well-situated to offer you wilderness experience, whether you are interested in recreational pursuits such as mountain climbing, snow sports, and tramping, yourself, or wish to work in that area of medicine long term and seek to maintain your skills in the outdoors. To find out more about living here please click the following link https://southlandnz.com
- Access to a number of Southern DHB staff holiday homes in Fiordland and Central Otago
- The opportunity to work in a modern facility and provide healthcare to a large geographical area, ensuring your exposure to a wide range of work
- Excellent support and opportunities for development through 15 hours per day of direct Consultant FACEM on-floor supervision, four hours of protected teaching time per week, exam preparation support for both Part I and Part II ACEM trainees, and Emergency Medicine Certificate and Diploma course supervision
- 12 months of accredited advanced ACEM training
- Accredited Paediatric logbook training
- 24/7 access to the library, weekly teaching and Grand Rounds, journal clubs, regular RMO forums, and exposure to a range of presentations to the hospital – all of which will equip you with a broad skill base to serve you well as you progress in your career
- One week’s free accommodation
- Free parking
- Free meals when on duty
What do I need?
We are interested in hearing from RMOs with a minimum of 3.5 years post qualification experience, including at least six months ED experience.
You must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand, and be eligible for general or provisional general registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand. You can check your eligibility for registration by visiting the Council’s website at www.mcnz.org.nz
Where do I apply?
If you are interested in applying for this role please click the ‘Apply Now’ button below.
Please note that your application must contain the following:
- Up to date electronic copies of your CV and cover letter
- Contact details for three Consultants we may contact directly for references. These Consultants should have supervised your day-to-day clinical work and one of the referees provided must be from your current or most recent employer. Please ensure you advise your referees of their nomination so they are aware they will be contacted by Southern DHB.
The Medical Council of New Zealand (the Council) recently introduced a new method of primary source verification using the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates’ Electronic Portfolio of International Credentials (ECFMG’s EPIC) service. Please visit the NZMC website for more details about these changes and information on enrolling. We encourage you to begin this process as soon as possible.