Service Manager – Southern Blood & Cancer Service
- Opportunity to Lead and influence Cancer services in SDHB in line with National Cancer Plan
- Do you have a passion for improving patient experience of care
- Full time role based at Dunedin Hospital
About the Opportunity
This important role will provide leadership and direction to a multidisciplinary team within the Southern Blood & Cancer Service which includes three complex specialties, Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology and Haematology. With a broad range of direct and indirect reports across eight professional groups this is a unique opportunity to lead a cohesive, caring, and supportive team of specialist clinicians, radiation therapists, physicists, nurses, counsellors, social workers and admin staff who are committed to working at the top of their scope. You’ll work side by side with experienced senior nurses and other leaders, while also having a high level of interface with the patients and whanau using our Service. This is an opportunity to make a real difference and be part of something quite special as we continue to invest in this Service and work towards the outcomes of the New Zealand Cancer Action plan.
Key deliverables include:
- Operational and strategic leadership and management.
- Performance Monitoring
- Budget Management
- Promoting a culture of achievement, keeping staff engaged and being an influencer
- Successful capital project management and delivery including the Linear Accelerator replacement project currently underway.
- Working with clinical leads and senior nursing staff to form strategic operational plans guiding specialties through the next 5 years and beyond as we continue to plan for a workforce that can deliver a transformed health service for our district.
- Fostering a healthy and safe team workplace culture for staff as part of caring for the wellbeing and human resource requirements of a large team.
- Drive for results and performance and quality improvement that produces better outcomes for our Service.
Our ideal candidate?
This is a dynamic arena to operate in. With professional credibility as a leader, we are looking for someone with maturity, tenacity and resilience who can also maintain a high level of empathy for the people within your care. You have excellent attention to detail while also having an eye for the bigger picture and are a natural problem solver. You don’t tend to give up at the first hurdle, and your ability to take people along with you has been proven time and time again. Resource management in this service is key, so you are innovative and calm under pressure. Strong regional and national networks and strategic alliances already exist, but we need a natural relationship builder and connector of people and resources. While some exposure to the health sector will be beneficial in this role, it might not be essential for a candidate with the right tenacity.
About the Southern DHB
The Southern DHB has the largest regional coverage of all the New Zealand health boards, providing services to 350,000 people in diverse communities across a huge geographical area. We take pride in all the services we provide and our aim is to improve, promote and protect the health of our region. Our customers – patients, staff and communities - are at the forefront of everything we do.
About our location
The Southern district offers the benefits of excellent amenities, first class primary through to tertiary education, affordable housing and outstanding recreational opportunities. Whether it surfing, kayaking or sailing; skiing, hunting or fishing; theatre, live-music or art – there’s literally something for everyone. Check out https://southernhealthcareers.nz/ for what the region and we can offer you and your whanau.
Closing Date: Monday 18 November 2019.
For further information please contact Jo Schmelz, Recruitment Manager, Phone: (03) 470 9603 or Email: email@example.com