Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Orthopaedic Department, Dunedin Hospital
- One Full Time and one part time (0.7FTE)
- Expressions of interest for future positions
Following a recent service review and the retirement of a part-time surgeon we are seeking two Orthopaedic Surgeons to join our team at Dunedin Hospital. Dunedin Hospital is situated in the city centre and serves a large geographical catchment area. The hospital is a teaching hospital of the University of Otago and has all major specialties including neurosurgery and cardiothoracic surgery.
The Orthopaedic Department is currently staffed by 9 part-time Surgeons, and a Fellow in addition to 7 Registrars and 4 House Officers. All orthopaedic subspecialties are covered including scoliosis surgery for all of the South Island.
We are seeking two orthopaedic surgeons who should have an interest and fellowship experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Hip and knee arthroplasty including complex revision surgery
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Paediatric Orthopaedics
The applicant should also be proficient in General Orthopaedics and trauma and the expected duties include:
- Participation in a 1 in 11 on call roster.
- Supervision of acute operating lists
- Fracture clinics
- Elective operating and outpatient clinics
- A rural clinic
- Support and leadership of junior medical staff and administrative duties
- Teaching of undergraduate medical students and registrars
- An active role in interdisciplinary team education
- Active support and utilise specialist nurse role/s as appropriate
- Participation in quality improvement, clinical audit activities and service development meetings and initiatives.
There are many opportunities for research within the department or in collaboration with the University. Applicants must have Fellowship of Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in Orthopaedics or an equivalent qualification, enabling specialist (vocational) registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand.
The commencement date is negotiable but early availability is preferred. Remuneration and conditions will be based on your experience, the ASMS MECA and the recently agreed departmental job size.
In addition to these new positions which are immediately available we are likely to have several vacancies over the next 1-3 years due to the retirement of current surgeons. We are seeking expressions of interest from surgeons, those on fellowships or registrars coming to the end of their training. We would like your fellowship training and skills to complement our existing strengths and future requirements.
For further details, to discuss the positions or to arrange a visit please contact Associate Professor David Gwynne-Jones. email@example.com
Closing date: Wednesday 2 August
In your application letter please indicate clearly whether you would prefer full or part time hours.
For further information please contact Milair Ryalls, Recruitment Advisor –Phone: (03) 470 9604 or Email: Milair.Ryalls@southerndhb.govt.nz