Located in the lower South Island of New Zealand (south of the Waitaki River) Southern DHB services an estimated resident population of 304,2601 residing in Invercargill City, Gore District, Queenstown-Lakes District, rural Southland (encompassing Fiordland, Stewart Island and the Catlins), Dunedin City, Central Otago, Maniototo, Clutha District and Waitaki District. (Refer to the Southern DHB catchment map further down the page).
Southern DHB is the southernmost DHB in New Zealand and comprises the provinces of Otago and Southland. Southern DHB has a land area of over 62,356 sq km which is the largest DHB region in New Zealand, and a coastline of nearly 5000km.
Southern DHB Catchment Population
The Southern DHB catchment area has estimated resident population of 304,260. (7.1% of the national population live in the Southern DHB catchment area).
Of the Southern DHB catchment population:
- 17.2% live in Invercargill City
- 4.0% live in Gore District,
- 9.3% Queenstown-Lakes District
- 9.7% live in rural Southland
- 41.0% live in Dunedin City
- 6.2% live in Central Otago
- 5.7 % live in Clutha District
- 6.8% live in Waitaki District.
- 9.1% of the Southern DHB population is Mäori
- 1.5% of the Southern DHB catchment population is Pacific Island
- 4.0% of the Southern DHB catchment population is Asian
- 85.5% of the Southern DHB catchment population identify as an 'Other' ethnicity group
NB People may identify with more than one ethnic group; therefore the totals may be greater than the total population.