Where we are
Located in the lower South Island of New Zealand, we service a combined population base of 308,600 people with 89% of our population based in the two cities of Dunedin and Invercargill and the remainder spread across towns and rural communities, set amongst New Zealand's iconic tourist destinations - Queenstown, Wanaka, Fiordland, Stewart Island, Central Otago and the Otago Peninsula. See our location map for more detail.
Both Dunedin and Southland Hospitals are teaching facilities, working in close collaboration with the University of Otago and its prestigious Dunedin School of Medicine (established in 1877) - producing clinical graduates for the whole country plus providing health services for the people of Otago and Southland.
- Dunedin Hospital is a 350+ bed, secondary and tertiary level, University teaching hospital, providing all specialties and most sub-specialties, with approximately 3,000 staff.
- Southland Hospital is a recently rebuilt 157+ bed, secondary level, University teaching hospital providing all specialties, with approximately 1500 staff.
Join our friendly team
We employ a wide range of qualified health professionals, including:
- Doctors of all specialties (juniors and specialists)
- Nurses of all specialties
- Allied Health professionals
- Mental Health professionals